Total Guitar recently asked their readers to vote on the ultimate guitar riffs of the last 10 years, generating the British Mag's full top 50 list. But name-checked in the top 10 is both Dream Theater and Machine Head!
Celebrated in a special ‘Monster Riffs’ edition of the magazine (on newsstands now) Dream Theater's "The Dark Eternal Night" off their 2007 album Systematic Chaos landed at #5, while Machine Head's "Halo" from their 2007 album The Blackening claims the #8 spot.
Who could possibly be above them, you wonder? Well here's the rundown:
Total Guitar – Greatest guitar riff of the 21st century
1. Plug in Baby – Muse
2. Slither – Velvet Revolver
3. Afterlife – Avenged Sevenfold
4. The Dark Eternal Night – Dream Theater
5. Knights of Cydonia – Muse
6. No One Knows – Queens of the Stone Age
7. Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes
8. Halo – Machine Head
9. Mr Brightside – The Killers
10. Beast And The Harlot – Avenged Sevenfold
The mag concludes that this has led "to some interesting results without the influence of more classic rock pre-2000; with bands such as Green Day, Kasabian, Biffy Clyro, Elbow, AC/DC, Metallica and Red Hot Chili Peppers all making the top 50."
Check out the full list in Total Guitar's Monster Riffs edition on newsstands now.